Thursday, November 15, 2012

Harriette Tsosie/Michael Billie Journey through Encaustic Workshop

Creation/Migration artist Harriette Tsosie and her colleague Michael Billie hosted a two day workshop November 10 -11 at Tsosie's South Valley Studio, Albuquerque.  Workshop participants explored eco printing, rusting, and branding with Billie on the first day.  On the second day, Billie helped students adhere their eco prints to panels using wax medium. Tsosie demonstrated special effects with encaustic and helped students create paintings, collage paper elements and incorporate graphite in their work. Pictured are the eco print bundles, boiled in walnut dye, and some of the completed encaustic paintings.


Tsosie said: "Part of the story of my own journey has been agreeing to teach the encaustic process to others. I did not initially want to do this, as I felt it would take time away from my own work.  I also feel very proprietary about my studio space: it's my personal kiva and I wasn't sure I wanted others to work there.  However, it has been a wonderful growth experience.  The teaching is reciprocal: I learn from my students."  
painting by Elise Johnston

painting by Wendy Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment